Motivational Interviewing Skills Coaching Support Package (2 Days)
The purpose of this package is to provide specialist support to practitioners surrounding the theory and practical application of Motivational Interviewing (MI) skills with young people within the youth justice system. MI is a client-centred counselling style that aims to help people change problematic behaviours by examining and resolving their ambivalence, (or mixed feelings), toward change.
This two-day course will introduce participants to the underlying theory and working models of both change and resistance to change that characterises the MI approach. In addition, the support package will identify MI specific skills and techniques, including how to respond positively to resistance, encourage motivation and how to assess just how ready a person is to change their behaviour so that the worker remains accurately attuned to the client’s actual and immediate needs. Participants will have the opportunity to engage with the presentation of theory, examples of theory translated into practice, case study material, multi-media methods (e.g. DVD skills demonstration), and the practicing of core MI skills in smaller groups.
- What is Motivational Interviewing (MI) and how does it differ from other approaches to encouraging change
- What is meant by ‘change resistant’ behaviour
- The nature of change and why it is so difficult to achieve
- The importance of the quality of client-worker interaction in MI work
- The cycle of change and its application for practitioners
- Skills and techniques used in the MI approach
- Multi-media demonstration; delegate skills practice sessions; case studies
Formal feedback evaluation sheets will also be provided for staff attendees to complete which will be made available via an anonymised and aggregated summary evaluation feedback report to both the Head of Service and Strategic Management Board members.
To support and evidence Continuing Professional Development (CPD), all participants who successfully complete both full days of the support package will receive a high quality certificate (170gsm paper) for their attendance and contribution.